Thursday, July 23, 2009

Avacado, Citrus, and Salmon Lettuce Cups

This is from my costco cookbook and it sounded so light and summery so I tried it for dinner tonight and we all loved it! Even the kids. I think I ate four:)

Salad
-1 large ripe fresh hass avacado halved, pitted, and cut into cubes
-1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
-6 tangerines or 2-3 oranges separated into segments and cut in quarters (cut like mom cuts oranges and grapefruit at Christmas)
-2 green onions thinly sliced
-1/2 pound cooked salmon
-1/3 cup jicama shredded (optional)
12 small iceburg lettuce leaves trimmed (I used romaine, but iceburg would definitely be easier to eat)

Sauce
-1/2 cup seasoned rice vinegar
-6 Tbsp soy sauce
-1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
-4 tsp fresh grated ginger
-2 tsp toasted sesame oil
-1 tsp rep pepper flakes (I did not use these because of my kids)

1. The recipe calls for cooked salmon, but I bought fresh salmon and just brushed it with olive oil, a little bit of soy sauce, and some seasoned rice vinegar and it was delicious. I cooked it at 350 for about 20 minutes until it flaked, then took it out and let it cool for about 5 minutes.
2. To make sauce, combine all ingredients and mix well. Set aside. (I halved the sauce recipe because it seemed like a ton for just my family and we still had some leftover).
3. Place avocado in a large bowl and toss with lemon juice. Add oranges and squeeze juice from leftover orange membrane into same bowl. Add green onions, and jicama if using and toss to coat.
4. Fill lettuce cups with salad mixture and sprinkle chunks of salmon on top. Top all with sauce, roll and serve lettuce wrap style.

No comments: