Saturday, February 23, 2008

Individual Deep Dish Apple Pies

I tried this last night when we had some company over for dessert. It was FABULOUS so I thought I'd share. Easy and spectacular presentation and tastes incredible. It is from a book we have called Gourmets Quick Kitchen. You need to have ramekiins but you can buy them at Walmart and they look truly elegant. I served real whipped cream with them because I didn't have ice cream but either would be awesome and I took them out of the oven 15 minutes before we ate them.

Preheat oven to 400.
2 MacIntosh appleas (about 3/4 lb) (I just used the apples I had, I think they were golden delic.
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
2 TB plus 1 tsp. sugar
1 TB flour
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 pillsbury or any other kind packaged refrigerated pie dough round
1 tsp. apples juice
Peel and core apples and chop into approx. 1" pieces. Toss with juices; lemon & apple, seasonings, flour and sugar and a pinch of salt.
Spread out pie dough and turn the ramekins over to lightly pattern the top. Cut the pie tops about 1/4 inch larger than the ramekin top. I got 5 out of one pie crust. Mound the apples into the ramekins, drape dough rounds on top, seal edges, brush with water and sprinkle with sugar on top. Cut a 1" vent on top and bake pies in middle of oven until filling bubbles and crust is golden about thirty minutes. (Mine was more like 40 minutes) I tripled this to make six and it worked great! The recipe is only for two. Depending on how huge your apples are though you might need less, my apples were small to medium.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

yummy, I can't wait to try these. I am going to buy some ramakins!