Thursday, February 28, 2008

Seared fish with grapefruit-orange relish

I made this recipe last night and it reminded me how much I love this dinner! This recipe is from my better Homes cookbook, and I know that mom has a different cookbook that has an almost identical recipe. There are just a couple differences so I just merged the two together to get the best of both. Enjoy! I have used this on tilapia, snapper, orange roughy, my recipe actually calls for tuna steaks, so basically any fish will do.

4 fish fillets of choice
2 tsp sherry or white wine vinegar
2 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium grapefruit peeled and sectioned (the way mom does it at christmas)
1 medium orange peeled and sectioned
2 Tbsp finely chopped red onion
2 Tbsp fresh snipped cilantro
1 avocado (peeled and cut in cubes)
2 tsp olive oil

In a plastic bag, for marinade:
juice of one lemon
2 tsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp olive oil

Thaw fish and pat dry. Mix all marinade ingredients in ziplock bag and place fish in bag. Keep in fridge while preparing relish.
In a medium bowl mix all ingredients except last 2 tsp olive oil. Make sure to squeeze all juice from the grapefruit and orange membranes into bowl along with fruit pieces. Stir together and cover. Store in fridge. Pour last 2 tsp olive oil in a pan on med-high heat. Remove fish from marinade and place in pan. Salt and Pepper fish while cooking to taste. Flip and sear other side. When fish flakes easily with fork, remove from pan. Serve immediately. Place fish on plate and spoon relish over the top. Serve with rice and veggie so that the rice can soak up the juices. Enjoy!

PS I have used dried ginger out of necessity and it is fine, but the fresh ginger is much better

No comments: